The Complete Baking Book for Young Chefs: 100+ Sweet and Savory Recipes that You’ll Love to Bake, Share and Eat!
(as of Jan 05,2022 17:26:28 UTC – Details)
From the Publisher
Serves 8 Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes cooling time
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In medium bowl, use rubber spatula to stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle melted butter over oat mixture and toss with fork or your fingers until mixture comes together.
3. In large bowl, use rubber spatula to stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add apples to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
4. Use rubber spatula to scrape apple mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Crumble oat topping into pea-size clumps and sprinkle oat topping evenly over apple mixture.
5. Place baking dish in oven. Bake until filling is bubbling around edges and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
6. Use oven mitts to remove baking dish from oven (ask an adult for help). Place baking dish on cooling rack and let apple crisp cool on rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Making a Crisp Topping
1. Toss oat mixture with fork or your fingers until mixture comes together.
2. Crumble oat topping into pea-size clumps and sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
Ingredients ⅔ cup (3 ⅓ ounces) all-purpose flour ½ cup (1½ ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats ¼ cup packed (1¾ ounces) light brown sugar ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled ¼ cup (1¾ ounces) sugar 2 teaspoons cornstarch ⅛ teaspoon salt 2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
Muffins, Quick Breads & Other Breakfast Treats
“This was very fun. We had learned about fractions in school, and now we are using math. And chocolate chips. Yummy!” – Morgan, 9
Pizza, Flatbread & Other Savory Baked Goods
“Loved the quick and easy sauce. Delicious. Perfect crust.” – Helen, 12
Cookies & Bars
“This would be a great snack to have when I get home from school!” – Victoria, 13
Cakes & Cupcakes
“The recipe was so good! I had a soccer game, so I made an extra batch for my soccer team. They loved it!” – Perrie, 9
Publisher : Sourcebooks Explore (October 1, 2019)
Language : English
Hardcover : 224 pages
ISBN-10 : 1492677698
ISBN-13 : 978-1492677697
Reading age : 8 – 12 years
Lexile measure : 1040L
Grade level : 4 – 8
Item Weight : 1.6 pounds
Dimensions : 7.25 x 0.81 x 9.25 inches